Faster Than Handsewing

Back to the library, with occasional bouts of sewing on the side...

Tuesday, August 10

Silk Thread

My number one advice to handsewers out therewould be to use silk thread (well, no, it would be to measure twice, cut once, and always pin and check your seams are on the correct side of the garment, but silk thread would be number three). Compared with using normal sewing machine thread, which snarls and tangles and is generally horrible, silk thread is great. It rarely tangles, it glides through material, looks pretty and feels nice.

If you ever wondered where this stuff came from here is a look at the producers, and then getting the thread from them to you. My current evil master plan involves finding a class of primary school children willing to look after silkworms for me so I can try out the reeling process myself.

Had a rather bad day at the office yesterday, so last night I consoled myself with bad television and doing the seams on the skirt (ivory wool). Now I need to finish the seams, and then start on the bodice, which might happen at Stitch and Bitch tonight (my sewing group - no bitching allowed if you aren't stitching).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home