Faster Than Handsewing

Back to the library, with occasional bouts of sewing on the side...

Thursday, September 9

Moving Slowly

Well, I'm up and about with some assistance still required, but I have made it as far as a computer with internet access.

I've been working on the brocaded tablet weaving in the last few days, and I can see this piece being finished in another week. I've remembered that the trick to tablet weaving is a) maintain a deep suspicion that is the thread can do something horrible, it will, b) always tying up your cards whenever moving or adjusting the loom, and c) somehow staying confident that it will all turn out right.
For this piece I'm using multi-strand fake metallic embroidery thread for the brocade weft. This works okay for coverage (ie there are no gaping holes in between the rows of the pattern), but the multi-strand aspect isn't as authentic as it could be (medieval brocade wefts generally being single or just doubled). I'm keeping an eye out for something better, but somehow I suspect metallics are always going to be horrible to work with!

The Historical Needlework Resources Website looks cool - not quite enough to make me actually do embroidery, but I think it will be a good place to raid design ideas from for future tablet weaving projects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home